Friday 15 February 2013

5:2 Vegetable Soup

As promised, here is my recipe for Vegetable Soup, 5:2 style:

2oz celery - 2 calories
6oz carrots - 54 calories
5oz onion - 30 calories
8oz courgette - 40 calories
garlic - I don't think a clove or two registers on the calorie scale?


 

I usually bung the whole lot through my food processor which only takes seconds to chop, although it makes for more washing up, but I feel this is the lesser of the two evils.

I put the chopped veg in a large saucepan and add:

390g carton chopped tomatoes - 72 calories
lots of basil - 0 calories
 
 

I add enough water to make up to about 3 pints, which is roughly 2 refills of the tomato carton.
When the vegetables are well cooked, I blitz with my stick-blender.  Half goes in the freezer for my second fast day and the other half goes in a flask to keep my going during the day.
 
 

I tried various combinations before I settled on this recipe.  There was no loss in flavour by not sweating the veg in a little oil first, and opting to use water rather than stock knocked out a few more calories.  This final version is quite satisfying and not too thin or watery.  If you try it, do let me know how you get on.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...