Sunday 17 February 2013

We need to talk about Kevin


Kevin came to stay on Monday.  He had been abandoned by his mother during Sunday night and by Monday morning he was suffering with hypothermia.  He is about 6 weeks old, but is only half the size he should be.  His mum is a cull-ewe, which means she has reached the end of her breeding life and should not have been having any more lambs.  No one told her, hence Kevin arrived.

 

He urgently needed warming up, so I tucked him up in the kitchen with a hot water bottle and covered him with a rug.  He had a runny nose and eyes and you could hear him rattle with each breath. 


A six-week old lamb should be bonny and plump, but Kevin was scrawny and had a nipped in tummy. He needed feeding up, but after six weeks with his mum, was very reluctant to take to a bottle.

I persevered over Monday and was up early to make sure I had time to feed him before work on Tuesday morning. Jamie and I popped home at different times during the day to check on him, and try to tempt him to have more milk. We were worried that if he didn't get his appetite back, he wouldn't make it.



We put him in the garden, where he gravitated straight over to Dave II, thinking he was joining his flock.
 

He was happy grazing for a bit but still very reluctant to have a bottle of milk.  In desperation, Jamie gave him some hay.  Kevin spent the rest of the day happily chomping away. 

When we came down on Wednesday morning, Kevin had eaten nearly all his bedding and was wandering about the kitchen looking for something else to eat!  He even downed about half a pint of milk. 
 

Having made such an amazing recovery, he was definitely well enough to go back to the farm.



I think he looks rather like Shaun the Sheep!

NB: Apologies for the poor photos, most were taken without the flash as I didn't want to startle him.
Although he looks rather sweet he was a very stinky lamb.

 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story, I hope that Kevin turns into the best ram that you have ever had, just to repay you for your care.

    (Didn't farmer's wives used to put those little lambs in the warming oven of the AGA?

    Forgive me, I came upon your blog a few days ago, liked it and added you to my Reader list. Hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toffeeapple

    Welcome to the Minnow Dairies.
    Thanks for leaving a comment, it's great to know people are reading my blog!
    Kevin continues to do well and yes, I believe people did use to warm up lambs in the AGA - sadly I don't have one ...

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this - far distant memories of bottle-feeding lambs at my aunt's farm and being dragged around by their strength - neither the lamb nor my three-year-old self would let go! How is the 5:2 going? I made your soup, which was delicious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna
      Thanks for commenting. Even Kevin in his poorly state was quite strong. 5:2 is going well, although I have overdosed on soup and am looking for something else to take to work with me, instead of salad, which does not hit the spot when it is snowing outside! Lost 8lbs so far and would like to lose another 3lb to hit my magic number ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...