Tuesday 19 July 2011

An amazing find

My father was born and brought up in India and he moved to England during the 1940's. He led a very different life in India to the one he had here and it must have been such a culture shock to pitch up in Southampton after a 6 week boat trip.
The other day my mother unearthed this:



I have had such fun perusing the range of products on offer ....


I have been reading the advertisements aloud and find myself speaking in a clipped English accent much like Joyce Grenfell - I say, what a hoot.  How sensible to tin one's valuable wearing apparel during the monsoon season !!

 
They really are wearing Pith helmets and I'm afraid to say standing over a tiger.*
It is so un-pc but an absolutely fascinating window into a by-gone era. 
I will be posting many more gems from the catalogue for your delectation.


*shikar, shi-kaar, n.  Hunting sport (Urdu)

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...