Sunday 22 April 2012

West Dean: Part I

Over the Easter holidays, I took the children to West Dean Gardens.  I hadn't visited West Dean for at least 15 years - I can remember having lunch there with my mum, but it was before my first daughter was born - some 15 years ago!

Our elder daughter brought along her BFF and BFF's mother - who also happens to be a good friend of mine.  The weather for the first week of the holiday had been pretty good except the day we chose to go.  The clouds blew over and a cold wind was blowing.  Still, at least it wasn't raining.


The gardens were delightful. Hellebore's were everywhere.  They are one of my favourites. I love the way they bow their heads with shyness, but I have had no luck growing them in my hot, dry little garden. 

 

 Dwarf Daffodils and Snake's Head Fritillaries (sorry, no photo) were abundant.

The heavy limbs of  this tree had weighted themselves back into the ground and were sprouting up again in their own right.
 

West Dean boasts a 300 foot pergola.  It was designed by Harold Peto towards the end of the 19th century.  It has recently been restored to it's original design and is planted with Honeysuckle and Roses.

 

Although the plants are not yet in leaf or flower, they still look beautiful


with each stem either spiralled or latticed around the uprights.

   



I am looking forward to going back to see it all in bloom.  The smell must be amazing.

To one side of the pergola there is a little summer house, with a thatched roof.  The floor was made of cut logs, set into the earth.  I would love to do something like this in my garden .....
 
or maybe this ....


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carole
    Did you know that the mosaic floor is made of horses teeth! Eeeuw!
    I love the Weat Dean posts, excellent photgraphy. Keep it up. You are VERY good at the blogging thing.
    Leslie, Next Door XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Leslie, I didn't know that! Maybe I don't want one in my garden now ... Carole x
    PS- you are kind about my blog x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...