Thursday 26 April 2012

West Dean: Part II


Whilst at West Dean we decided to do the circular Parkland Walk.  It is about two and half miles long and takes one through the estate and St Roche's Arboretum.  

Above is the River Lavant.  Or rather, it is where the River Lavant should be if we weren't in the grip of a drought.

This hedge would have been laid in last Winter, when the sap was down. 

Amazingly this Beech tree was still alive, despite being broken nearly in two and was ready to burst into leaf.  I suppose it is the same principle as the hedge-laying?

 
 The views would have been even better if it hadn't been such an overcast day.
 
At the end of the walk was the lure of the Gardens Restaurant
 

and of course, a cream tea.
 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Hello Carole! I am thrilled to see your West Dean post, as we weren't able to make it there during our time in England. I just had a nice peruse through your blog. I love it. I feel honored that I saw the jumbo egg in real life. A double!! Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hope. I'm so pleased you left a comment - it makes me very happy to know my blog is being read! I still have Part III and Part IV to post! As you can tell, I've fallen in love with West Dean and now have grand ideas for my tiny garden ...
    Carole x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...