Tuesday 7 June 2011

Rhubarb Cake


You may remember that I froze the left-over rhubarb from the cordial.  Over the weekend I finally had time to make it into a cake.  You can see from the picture below that I am not a tidy cook.  My husband always says that I use every utensil in the kitchen, and he's not far off the mark!  


 Scene of devastation, viewed from above


The recipe calls for chunks of fresh rhubarb to be stirred through the batter, but I could only manage lumps of defrosted pulp, and as a compromise put half the cake batter in and bunged the fruit on top.
Not a thing of beauty, but just wait until you try it .....

 
I poured over the rest of the batter and sprinkled over the topping.


Cooked it for about 30 minutes as the rhubarb was already cooked
 

Done.
This cake tastes about a hundred times better than it looks. 
Here's the recipe so you can try it for yourself.


RHUBARB CAKE

For the cake:
4oz very soft butter
12oz light brown sugar
2 eggs
8oz milk
10oz plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12oz chopped rhubarb

For the topping:
3oz light brown sugar
4oz chopped pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix all the above together into a smooth batter and add rhubarb. 
Pour into a lined 9" x 13" baking tray
Sprinkle on the topping
Bake 180c for about 40 mins.

(Recipe courtesy of my lovely neighbour)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. It does every cook's heart good to see other people's kitchen chaos. To me it just signals good things to eat are on the way! Keep messing up your kitchen p looking forward to the results here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...